Friday, May 2, 2008

Quill , the Japanese film


Quill was shown on 8TV as a Labour's Day special . Quill chronicles the 11 years of life of a Labrador that became a guide dog for the blind . Although I was surprised it was dubbed in Cantonese , the voice actors did quite a good job here .

I expected Quill to be a touching tale of a dog's life . But the film style here is more documentary-like , which can get quite boring . Although Quill is quite a cute Lab , the funny or touching moments are few and far in this film . The problem is Quill is such a good , restrained dog that there is not a single bark from him throughout the film . His happiness or unhappiness is expressed by a few whimpers at most . The viewers only get to know of Quill's feelings through the narrator of the story .

I love dogs but somehow dogs that does not bark seem unnatural to me . I think I would much prefer Marley (of the The World's Worst Dog fame) more than the obedient Quill .

No comments: