Saturday, May 17, 2008

Iron Man

Usually I do not like superheroes movies unless they are really good , and Iron Man is one of the more enjoyable one. Okay, the main reason I gave this movie a chance is Robert Downey Jr.

He is a critically acclaimed actor who unfortunately often made headlines for the wrong reasons. I have always liked him since his early films like "Chaplin" and am glad he cleaned up his act and made good this comeback movie.

I had some misgiving at first about Gwyneth Paltrow providing the eye-candy in this movie. Well , eye-candy she definitely is not, for she had quite a washed-out look throughout the whole movie , but that is in line with her character as the harrased , unappreciated assistant to Tony Stark aka Iron Man. She is the perfect foil to the irrespressible Robert Downey Jr. I only wish she didn't have such a silly name - Pepper Potts !

As for the bad guy, you can spot him one mile off. No surprises here from a typical villain, well, at least he didn't do the evil laugh routine , which really turns me off superheroes movies. As for superheroes moments , I would say there are very few here . No saving a busload of innocent schoolkids or catching a falling damsel in distress ala Superman - good !

All in all, quite a fun and enjoyable movie.

No comments: